“Go Local!”

“Go Local!” is GWN's motto, starting from May 27, 2008, a motto started by GWN Founder Diane Zhou's dad. “So many big chain companies, like McDonald's, own newspapers that turned from local to national or worldwide. That loses the meaning of 'local news', so I support GWN,” Diane's dad told GWN. GWN is being motivated by this motto. Without it, GWN would have disappeared long ago in November, 2007!

Cover Story

Open House!
On GWN's anniversary (May 13th), Ardenwood Elementary School had its Open House! Let's see the stories of three people who go to Ardenwood:

Diane and Alex Zhou's Stories, 5th and 2nd grade
For Diane and Alex Zhou, it was just like any other year. First, their mom bought an Ardenwood dragon t-shirt for each of them. Then they visited Alex's classroom (Room 16) which was filled with dinosaur-related things. Diane's dad joined soon, and they went on to Diane's classroom (Room 31).
Her classroom had skeletons. On Diane's desk were her human body project, reading and math work, and her history project. Her parents talked with Mr. Gracey, the teacher. He praised GWN. Yay!
Everyone visited the classrooms of the grade they were going to be next next year. They also visited the computer lab (where Diane was praised) and science lab. It was 8 o'clock when they went home!

Cynthia Yao's Story, 5th grade
When Vanessa, my mom, and I got to the school for open house, it was already 7:10. After browsing the book fair, we went to Vanessa's classroom, which is the same classroom as Alex Zhou's, Room 16. We looked at the dinosaur stuff, such as fossils, drawings, and the dinosaur report. After that, we went to my classroom (Room 33). My desk had a paper port folio (a suitcase) Which held all my things from the past. As my mom talked to Mrs. Brightwell, the teacher, I showed Vanessa around the room and all the history arts, math projects, and Language reports. After my mom finished talking to Mrs. Brightwell, we went to the book fair for a book my sister wanted called "Rani in the Mermaid Lagoon". I got bored and rolled (I was wearing Heely's) home with my family.

No comments: