“Go Local!”

“Go Local!” is GWN's motto, starting from May 27, 2008, a motto started by GWN Founder Diane Zhou's dad. “So many big chain companies, like McDonald's, own newspapers that turned from local to national or worldwide. That loses the meaning of 'local news', so I support GWN,” Diane's dad told GWN. GWN is being motivated by this motto. Without it, GWN would have disappeared long ago in November, 2007!

New News

My 11th Birthday
By Birthday Girl Chloris Li
On Wednesday, June 4th, 2008, it was my 11th birthday. I was really excited! When I got downstairs to start my breakfast, there were 3 boxes of donuts. My dad or mom wrote a letter that said 1 box was glaze, 1 box was chocolate, and 1 box was filled with glaze and chocolate. I brought those donuts to school, eager to meet my friends. I found out that there was a substitute that day so my teacher never knew it was my birthday.
At school, I placed the donuts at the back desk. The substitute saw them and she asked if it was my birthday. My reply was yes. On the board, the substitute wrote down the schedule for the day. One part said to say Happy Birthday to me. I was so happy!
When the time came, I chose Deanna, my friend and classmate, to help me pass out the donuts. Most people took the chocolate donuts when I thought more people would've taken the glaze! After all that passing, my classmates, including the substitute teacher, sang happy birthday to me. I was pleased and happy!
At home, my mom bought an ice cream cake. The whole entire cake was ice cream! It was delicious! I was really full when I finished eating that day. I barely was able to eat my last piece of cake! I was proud of my presents. My whole family gave me a card, my friend Susan wrote Happy Birthday on a piece of paper, my friends Jessica and Chela made a card for me, Deanna was going to give me a card the next day, Diane, another friend, gave me a Japanese doll which I named it Jade, my mom gave me a Melody water bottle, and finally, my grandma gave me a red envelope! I was really happy! I hope I will be as happy in my 12th birthday! (I can't believe I'm almost a teen!)

Japan
Contributed to GWN by GWN Reader Cynthia Yao
I am currently in Japan on a tour. The food here is great and the places we go to are fun! So far, my favorite place is "Nara Deer Park". We got to pet the deer, and for some reason, they didn't seem to be scared of us at all. We walked to the museum, which was basically a monk temple. After walking around inside, we went back to the place with the deer. I was so excited! My mom had agreed to let us feed the deer with crackers which you could buy for 150 yen ($1.50 in U.S. currency) on the sides of the path. The deer were so cute. They kept bowing their heads, that meant they wanted more which I learned from our tour guide. After feeding the deer, we went to the souvenir store. I bought a small statue of a deer sitting on a slice of wood. We had to get back on the bus to go to our hotel. That's where I am right now! I'll see you later!

Jokes Center
By GWN Joke Maker Tiffany Chen
  • Squeeze it and it cries tears as red as its flesh, but has a heart made of stone.
    a cherry
  • Nicole is Cara's daughter's aunt's husband's daughter's sister. What is the relationship between Nicole and Cara?
    Nicole is Cara's niece.
  • What has two backbones and a thousand ribs?
    rail road tracks
YOU can send jokes to GWN too!

Emily Wang answered the interview about Kung Fu Panda! Here it is (you can answer it too):
GWN: How did you like Kung Fu Panda? Rate it from A through F.
Emily: A
GWN: Was it really funny? What was the funniest part?
Emily: It was funny. The funniest part was in the end when Po thought Master Shifu was dying and then he [Master Shifu] said, “I'm not dying, you idiot, I'm simply at peace.”
GWN: What was the secret ingredient? What had to be done to be the Dragon Warrior or even the be a great cook?
Emily: nothing
GWN: Which character in the movie would you like to be? Why?
Emily: Po
Remember about guessing what the secret ingredient is? Emily Wang is correct! Good job! Some people got the answer wrong, but it's okay. “Nothing” is a hard thing to guess.

No comments: